Hospitality & Catering Year 9
Level 1/2 Hospitality & Catering
In Year 9 students can choose to study a five week ‘taster’ session to give them an experience of the Level 1/2 Hospitality and Catering course. During the’ taster’ students continue to develop their practical skills and knowledge of food nutrition and the hospitality industry.
After completing the taster session students will prepare various dishes and study the nutrition of the food. They will also look at scientific principles, such as how raising agents can affect food.
The focus in Year 9 Food Preparation and Nutrition is to build on knowledge gained at KS3.
- Continue to make students aware of the importance of health, hygiene and safety.
- Carry out risk and hazard assessments in each lesson.
- Encourage students to use a larger range of equipment and materials to the best of their advantage.
- Develop student's understanding of the designing of recipes within product development.
- Develop student's ICT skills through the use of the nutritional analysis programmes.
- Begin equipping students with skills they will need to be successful at KS4, such as scientific experiments.
- Promote an enjoyment of food.