Severe Weather Conditions
In the event of severe weather conditions the following procedures will take effect:
The school will remain open unless:
- conditions are so difficult that the majority of staff are unable to get into work
- it is considered a health and safety risk to have or to keep students in school
Whole school closure will only be undertaken as a last resort
Severe weather conditions known in advance
Where it is known or evident that conditions are too poor for the school to open announcements and updates will be made via the school website. Where conditions deteriorate overnight decisions will be made and posted on the website by 6.45 a.m. Regular updates will then continue to be posted.
Severe weather conditions that occur during the school day
Where conditions deteriorate when students are in school, the school will put into play its emergency closure policy. This will mean:
- A time will be set for dismissal.
- Notification will be posted on the school website.
- A text message will be sent to all parents.
- Students will be sent to their form rooms where it will be organised that parents are contacted either using the mobile phone of the student or a school phone. The form tutor will speak to the parent to obtain permission for the student to be sent home.
- Once permission is obtained, the form tutor will sign a letter and the student will be dismissed.
- Members of the Senior Leadership Team will be at the school gates to check that the letter has been signed by the tutor and permission obtained.
- Any student whose parent/carer cannot be contacted will remain on the school site and be supervised by staff until permission is obtained.
The school will judge what it considers to be the best time for dismissal as it may in some circumstances be more dangerous to dismiss students than to keep them in school.
It is vital that emergency contact numbers are always up to date. Please contact the School Office if you have had a change of circumstances or contact information.