Media Studies Year 9
GCSE Media Studies
Awarding Body: WJEC/Eduqas
GCSE Media Studies is an exciting course that combines the study of the media industry and the analysis of pieces of media with practical production
The course will be assessed through two exams which make up 70% of the final mark and a practical coursework project that will make up the remaining 30%.
Students will have to study the following areas of the media:
- Film Promotion
- Video Games
- Music Video
- Online and Digital Media
Students will also have to study the following areas:
- Media Representations – how people, places, events etc are shown in the media.
- Media Audiences .
- Media Forms – the techniques that are used to make pieces of media.
- Media Institutions – the companies and organisations responsible for making pieces of media.
- Contemporary Media Issues – important current issues and debates about the media.
- Media Theory.
- Examination 70% Two exam papers, testing your knowledge of the topics above.
- Coursework 30% You will have to produce a piece of practical work set by the exam board, you will also have to submit research and planning materials.
Who should study the course?
If you are interested in films, television, newspaper and radio and want to learn how to discuss and write about them and develop the skills to make them yourself then this course could be for you. You have to be prepared to work very hard; Don’t expect to be just watching films!
How will it benefit me?
- Help you learn about the way the Media works and shapes our ideas and beliefs
- Enable you to develop practical media production skills by making your own media productions.
- Help you to understand how the media has changed over time and appreciate how new technologies are changing the way in which we use the media
What can this course lead to?
There are a number of exciting careers in media in advertising, the press, TV or radio industries or maybe in an area of the media that will be completely new by the time you enter the world of work. This course will enable you to find out more about the opportunities before taking other qualifications. You can study Media Studies at A level in the Sixth Form. Every year several students go on to University to study Media related courses.