Drama Year 8
At Key Stage 3 students are taught in mixed ability tutor groups and receive one Drama lesson a week.
Students follow a clearly structured course which aims to build a firm foundation of performance skills, introducing them to the basic elements of theatre whilst exploring a wide range of issues. An integral element of all courses is the acquisition of evaluative skills.
Students are regularly assessed in a variety of ways in order to personalise learning and promote best progress. Resources will differ for individual groups as specific lesson content may differ for each teaching group to allow for topical elements to be introduced.
In Year 8 students will study the following units of work, building on the knowledge acquired in Year 7:
- The Domino Effect
- History of Theatre: Shakespeare
- Physical Theatre and the use of music as a stimulus: Carmina Burana
- The Box in the Attic: Anne Frank
- The Seven Ages of Man: A practical autobiography based on the speech from ““As You like It” by William Shakespeare
- Group Production: students will work on a given theme and be assessed on acting skills or one of the associated design elements.
All students have the opportunity to participate in the major school production, either by performing or by joining one of the design or technical crews. There are also opportunities to see productions either outside school or those brought in to us. All students can join one of the year drama clubs if they wish.